Tools for UI 2018 First-Generation Celebration Week
National First-Generation Celebration events can be geared towards faculty, staff, students...everyone!
Not sure what "first-generation" means? Click here for more information.
Ways To Participate
Events held as part of this celebration do not have to be expensive, time-consuming endeavors. Here are several ways your area can participate:
- Already have a departmental event scheduled that week (or close to it)? Make it a themed event and feature the topic of first-generation students.
- Host a faculty/student coffee hour and invite students to share their thoughts with faculty on what it's like to be a First-Gen@Iowa student.
- Consider sending an email to your department/students that celebrates the many accomplishments of your first-gen faculty, staff, and students (or alumni).
- Review the First-Gen Task Force handouts on Ways to Make a Difference in your weekly departmental meetings. Enlist assistance to make a "side 2" for your area.
- The CLAS Advising Office is developing resources for departmental advisors- contact them for more information.
- Plan to attend a film screening of the "First-Generation" movie; stay afterwards for a facilitated discussion.
- Need more ideas? Visit the NASPA Center for First-Generation Student Success: 50 Ways To Celebrate
Advertising Your Event
- Click here to add your event or planned activity to our master schedule.
- First-Gen@Iowa Logo- Use our logo on your electronic or printed correspondence.
- The First-Generation Task Force is working on advertising and communication efforts, but we need your help! Please consider reaching out to your target audience and invite them to attend your event (and visit the website to see our full schedule).
During Your Event
- Want to share photos & updates? Use #IowaFirstGen, #celebratefirstgen, @uiowa to participate in national and campus-wide social media campaigns.
- Hosting an event and looking for some First-Gen@Iowa SWAG to distribute to your guests? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for 4-color pens and buttons.
What's All Happening November 5 - 9?
- Targeted Campus-Wide Emails
- College/Department/Unit Events
- "First-Generation" Film Screenings (see our master schedule of events)