Planning an event?
Participation in the University of Iowa's National First-Generation College Celebration week is campus-wide! Departments, units, and student organizations from all areas of the university are invited to join us by hosting an event during celebration week (early bird events are welcome too). These events can be geared towards specific groups of students or faculty or staff...or everyone!
Need event ideas?
- Past events have included things like first-gen students' breakfast with a dean or DEO, graduate or professional student luncheons, departmental training sessions for faculty/staff, panel discussions, cookie distributions, drop-in writing activities, film showings or movie nights, photo opportunities, and much more!
- Be creative! Host a trivia or game night, open mic, yoga session, video game tournament, or poetry slam for first-gen students in your department.
- Host a coffee hour and invite faculty and first-gen students enrolled in your degree programs to mingle, share stories, and get to know each other.
- Work in a student services area? Host a workshop or informational session that tackles topics of particular interest to first-gen students.
- Schedule a training session for faculty/staff in your area on how they can better support first-gen students (contact angela-lamb@uiowa for more information).
- Send an email to your department that recognizes and celebrates the many accomplishments of your first-gen students (and faculty and staff or alumni).
- Encourage everyone in your area to attend other campus events as well as the week's capstone, signature event- the annual 1stGen@Iowa Awards and Recognition Ceremony.
- Need more ideas? Visit the NASPA Center for First-Generation Student Success website for past institutional celebration ideas.
- Events can be held in-person or virtually, during a specific time or ongoing throughout the week.
Advertising & Hosting Your Event
While we do our best to advertise everyone's events and activities, we need your help! Hosting an event? Please connect with your target audience. Invite them to attend your event and also encourage them to check-out the full schedule of events on our website. And don't forget to advertise your event using your department's standard advertising mechanisms as well.
Click here to add your event to our website's official schedule of events.
Don't forget to share about your event on social media platforms (before, during, and after your activities)! Use these hashtags and tagging options
- To capture University of Iowa, use hashtags #UIowaFirstGen or #uiowa. Tag @uiowa on social media and tag us on Instagram at @uiowafirstgen
- To participate in national social media campaigns, use #CelebrateFirstGen and/or tag @COEtalk and @FirstgenCenter
- Click here for official National First-Generation College Celebration media kit and logos
- 1stGen@Iowa logos are available by contacting email@example.com.
Zoom Background Files
- Right-click on the image file you want to use as your Zoom background and "save image as" to your computer
- Upload the image file in your Zoom video background settings tab
- Make sure "Mirror my video" is unchecked